Linux and Storage Systems Administrator
Find your job at www.LoveYourJob.com
Job Title: Linux and Storage Systems Administrator
Location: Lexington, MA
Duration: Direct Hire
*Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain a Security Clearance for access to classified information. An Active Secret Clearance without incident is desired.
POST-OFFER BACKGROUND CHECK IS REQUIRED. An essential function of this job is physical attendance. Digital Prospectors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Seeking an experienced Systems Administrator to contribute to a team responsible for all functions associated with the daily operations of the Laboratory's IT server and storage infrastructure including the configuration, monitoring, and daily operational support Red Hat Linux Server, Enterprise Backups and Storage systems and supporting systems including DNS, Time Management and Secure File Transfer. The ideal candidate is interested in learning new technologies, delivering high quality services and turning concepts into services. This position will work closely with both Lab IT and research staff. An understanding of IT operations (ITIL) and security best practices is required. Participation in on-call rotation and occasional off-hour support is required. This position reports to the Platforms Infrastructure Team within the Lab’s Information Services Department.
Service Engineering and Project Support
- Assists in the evaluation of new tools, services or products as well as enhancements to existing processes, products and services.
- Support project initiatives through capturing requirements, prototyping, systems design and validation
- Develops, publishes, and maintains system documentation (e.g. Requirements, Design/Build, Testing, and Standard Operating Procedures) according to project management best practices
- Day-to-day support for all aspects of the team’s operational services including Linux Red Hat Server, Accellion File Transfer System, InfoBlox DNS, SNTP Servers and Cohesity backup environment
- Duties include support for operating system software, security compliance, maintenance, hardware break/fix, and performance troubleshooting
- Perform operating system deployment, upgrades, patches and optimization in both physical and virtual environments
- Identify and implement best practices to increase automation, security, reliability and systems performance
- Perform root cause analysis and provide recommendations to improve efficiencies and resolve problems within supported environments
- Develops, publishes, and maintains system documentation (e.g. Requirements, Design/Build, Testing, and SOP) according to department standards.
- Develops and delivers training for peers and/or end-users on service features, enhancements or new applications to increase service adoption and usage.
- Detailed hands on knowledge Red Hat Enterprise Server Linux operating systems including installation, storage management, software/systems integration, security compliance, systems maintenance, hardware break/fix, and performance troubleshooting
- Experience with or working knowledge of Virtualization technologies (VMware, Hyper-V, etc)
- Experience with Storage Administration (SAN, NAS), including knowledge of CIFS, NFS for both NetApp and EMC solutions
- Understanding of Enterprise monitoring and SNMP tools like SolarWinds, SNMP v2/3
- Strong knowledge of core networking protocols and troubleshooting (e.g. DNS, NTP, DHCP, SNMP, TCP/IP, SSH, FTS, HTTP(s), LDAP, WINS, SSL/TLS, NFS, CIFS)
- Ability to program in an administrative language (e.g. Perl, Python, Shell scripts) to automate basic processes
- Work closely with key vendors and escalate problems as necessary to meet support level agreements
- Experience maintaining documentation of processes, procedures, troubleshooting guides and change management logs
- Ability to learn new technologies and disciplines quickly
- Excellent emotional intelligence including communication (presentation, writing and interpersonal / networking skills), accountability and engagement as well as ability to assess situational awareness and appropriate response
- Very strong problem-solving skills and ability to work autonomously while reporting status at appropriate level
- Solid understanding of key security principles and best practices including security-by-design, vulnerability remediation and security operations. Understanding of NIST 800-171 desirable.
- ITIL v3 Foundations Certification
- Red Hat Linux (or other UNIX certifications) including training in Ansible
- Storage Administration Certification (preferable NetApp)
- Experience with Cisco UNC, Gigabyte, Dell hardware platforms
- Understanding of virtualization environments including VMWare ESXi
- Ability to program (e.g. Perl, Python, Shell scripts, ansible)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required for this position
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected
- Participation in on-call rotation and occasional off-hour support is required.
Our client, one of the most prestigious Research and Development Labs in the country, is working on solutions to our nation's most complex defense and commercial related challenges. We have placed hundreds of talented engineers with this client over the years - If you are qualified - we can get you in!!!
The mission is critical and the work is as cutting-edge as it is rewarding. The teams are superbly managed groups of world class engineers from all types of interesting and diverse backgrounds - AND THEY ARE HIRING!
ABOUT DIGITAL PROSPECTORS:
Founded in 1999, Digital Prospectors is an award-winning recruiting and consulting firm that specializes in placing contract, contract-to-hire and direct hire engineers into rewarding opportunities with our impressive and ever-growing client base. We believe that all people should love their jobs.
Come see why Digital Prospectors has been voted “Best Staffing Firm to Temp For” by Staffing Industry Analysts, "Best of Staffing" for candidate satisfaction by Inavero / CareerBuilder.com, "Top Temporary Placement Firm" by Boston Business Journal, "Best Company To Work For" by Business NH magazine, "Excellence in IT and Engineering Staffing” by TechServe Alliance, "Top IT Services Company" by Inc. Magazine, "Most Reliable Staffing Agency" in Forbes Magazine and "Top Ranked Staffing Firm" by Staffing Industry Analysts.